Like I mentioned earlier, I'm very impressed with the distributor conversion, but there was one part that I did nothing, that is until now. It's the coil, I've read on the internet that the point system based coil can't handle the current generated by the electronic ignition, therefore will burn out in a short time.
    How true is that, I don't know, but why bother taking a chance?

    At the wreckers, I tried to get the coil from the same car that I removed the distributor from, but somebody else beat me to it. I then, just searched for a coil from a car with electronic ignition and was in decent shape. I finally came upon a Bosch coil from a Audi 100, with a 5 cylinder motor.

    Nice coil, till I got it home, somebody should have told me that some brainy pants decided to remove/change the plus/minus signs for numbers ( 1 & 15 ). I felt pretty stupid when I turned up again, (within 15 minutes) and asking Peo, which connection it to what ?  HEHEHE, but I know better now, 1 is minus and 15 is plus, if you wanted to know ? ;)

 

    Here's another picture of the created clearance ,from another angle, for the vacuum advance.

 

 

 

    While still patiently waiting for my roll cage pipe to be bent, I decided that maybe it was time to replace the tired springs on the Land Rover. Actually, the springs under the Landy, I have no idea what they are. There is so much rust on them. The original build sheet, shows " 4 new springs". After removing the back springs, there was yellow wreckers ink on the top flats of the springs, but I couldn't make out what was written on them. ( So much for the "4 NEW SPRINGS" idea )

 

    For the back, I decided to replace the springs with original 90 rears. The springs I bought are ;
 

                         Passenger Side:

                         Part # :         NRC 9449 
                         Color code :   White/Yellow
                         Spring Rate : 225lbs

                         Driver Side:

                         Part # :         NRC 9448
                         Color Code :   Red/Blue
                         Spring Rate : 225lbs.

 

    The instillation was a straight forward job. I was impressed with the result, the back was much firmer, when I sat at the back, it no longer sank to the floor and I gained about an extra cm in ride height.

 

 

    The front has been done.  I replaced the front springs with 110 original (Yellow/Yellow) front springs. The reasons why I'm going with these springs are, 1) I want to increase the spring rate at the front of the Land Rover, 2) I'm getting the springs from a good friend at FOC.
    Here's what I installed  :

 

                          Both Passenger & Driver Side:

                          Part # :           NRC 8045
                         Color Code :     Yellow/Yellow
                         Spring Rate :    155/210lbs
                         Spring Length : 386 mm
 

    These springs are dual rate. The first 3 coils are are approx. 155lbs. Once they are fully compressed
the spring rate jumps up to 210lbs. The Yellow/Yellow springs are slightly shorter than the  90 springs
I removed, but, once the roll cage is placed in the rear of the Land Rover, the extra weight will even the
things out.
     At the same time, I replaced  the front shocks.

    

                         

 

    During the Christmas vacation, I did some handy work with some scrap metal. I made a diff guard from 5mm steel plate.  The ring that circles the diff is 5 cm X 7 mm steel,  which I welded 2 "L" brackets for the securing point. Before welding, I placed a M10 bolt on the ring, so that it would help reduce the amount of warping during welding. It turned out to be the smart thing to do, because there was a lot of heat from the welding, but, the diff guard slid into place, as if it belonged there.  Here's two pictures  before sanding and painting.

 

 

   Back to Home Page...

   Next Page...