Next was the grill panel, which was repaired  sometime before. I think that the person that did the welding on the bulkhead, did the welding here, to. Again the new metal was placed over the rust and poorly welded into place and to top that off, lots of bondo was applied over the repair.
    Lots of cleaning up here and then I welded in new metal. Then several coats of zinc primer was applied ,  a generous coating of stone guard - inside and out-  

    The rear door was the last door to weld, actually rebuild. The rear door is not the original, but rather a early 90/110 door. The tell - tale sign was that it has 3 hinges. These early doors loved to rust, and the complete lower panels were totally gone. So, I rebuilt the lower door framing using 1mm steel . I don't have a metal bender, so everything was done by hand, and some pieces were redone several times till I got it right.  At the door striker plate/door handle, that was a pain in the butt, I had to remove more metal than I wanted, so that I wasn't welding good metal to paper. But anyways, once completed, the frame is solid, without rust. To the right is a picture I took just after removing the rusted metal.

    The good weather had finally arrived and I am getting everything ready for painting. RUR 487 has spent much time parked outside, mainly to have mother nature blow off the dust and for me to clean out the garage. After nearly 20 months, it was nice to see RUR 487 parked in the driveway, weather complete or not, I am happy with the progress.

    Before painting, several things had to be done, one being , deciding what color to paint the Landy. I've always liked a sand brown, but after visiting my local automotive paint supplier, I soon realized that there are many different variations of sand brown. Metallic paint was out of the question, so that narrowed the selection down. I finally selected, 1982 GM Truck Messa Brown. Its not exactly a sand brown, but more like a caramel brown, which I thought would blend well with the original beige hard top. The paint is supplied by Meyer, so, I bought the etch primer and paint primer that are also made by Meyer. There's no need to buy from all different suppliers, when we know that all of these components are compatible .

    The next step was to loan the in-laws compressor and spay gun. Once I had everything together, I stapled in a plastic second ( false ) wall in the garage. This should reduce the amount of dust circulating around when I paint. Then came the planning, laying out everything in the garage, so that I could get around everything without bumping into them with the air hose. Lots of planning here, believe me, plus I hooked up the spray gun to the air hose and did some trial runs, just making sure everything would go OK.

  

 The big day finally came, I decided from the beginning that I would do the painting over two days. The first day would be the etch primer and then the primer paint coat. A very generous layer of water was laid on the floor, Every part was degreased, the etch primer was mixed and off I went. 3 layers of etch primer was applied to every part. I was impressed at how well it was applied and it bonded well. No blistering, no runs, no excessive build up anywhere's.

   

As you can see from the pictures to you right, the etch primer was white in color.

    

    

 

 

 

Back to Home Page...

Next page...